Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Preparing For Winter -- The Checklist

So there's been frost on the pumpkin now for several days running. I think most of the garden winter prep work is finally behind me.

Check List:

  • fall bulbs planted  Checked box symbol
  • perennials deadheaded Checked box symbol
  • hanging baskets stored away Checked box symbol
  • canna, calla, dahlia bulbs dug and stored Checked box symbol
  • garlic planted Checked box symbol
  • garden rough tilled Checked box symbol
  • geraniums stowed in coldroom Checked box symbol
  • potatoes and carrots dug in stored away Checked box symbol
  • lawnmower and whippersnipper put away Checked box symbol

To do:

  • collect bagged leaves from town for the garden
  • mulch new blackberry plants
  • dig beets
  • dream and plan for 2012

Jack Frost's handiwork.
The hanging baskets are now all stored away in the greenhouse awaiting new life next spring.
More hanging baskets and you will note, I picked up two more half whiskey barrels this fall at a yard sale - not sure where they will go yet, but I was looking for some last spring and they couldn't be found for a king's ransom.
Two geranium pots stored in the coldroom - hopefully to be revived come spring.

All the rest of the geraniums on the bottom shelf, tucked in and asleep for the winter.


The Daily Quest

This is a new daily feature on The Musical Gardener blog. Below is a question, or puzzle that will change day by day. Do not use the comment section of the blog for your answer.

Answer to Yesterday's Puzzle:  Keep it under your hat

Today's Puzzle:
Who Doesn't Belong


Which word doesn't belong in the group and why?
  • a) Richard
  • b) Appease
  • c) Beetle
  • d) Freshman
  • e) Cornucopia
 
Please respond with your answer to the email below. I apologize but you will have to type my email address in manually (I'm attempting to avoid spammers).
Don't forget my Musical Gardener Contest
And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

6 comments:

  1. I like the dream and plan for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You show off! I'm still moored in the "thinking about it" phase of prepping the yard for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very organised - Oh! if only I could be that diciplined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've checked off most of my list. I guess I will rake leaves one more time though to ad to the leaf pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm really embarrassed when I see a list like this as I am one of those random chaotic people. Every time I see a list like this I say , Good idea!"
    Well done with your list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have turned on the heater. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: