Saturday, September 3, 2011

50 Of My Favourite Pieces of Music

Today is the last day I can refer to myself as being in my late 40's. Kind of hard to believe I've almost reached the half century mark.  

I've said before I am an eclectic sort of a fellow, and I'm sure none will disagree once you've gone through today's Top 50 list.  If I were stranded on an island with my IPOD (which I don't own BTW) the following is my playlist and again in no particular order.  I've taken quite a while to formulate this list, and there have been several additions and deletions.  Undoubtedly I will still be thinking "why didn't I add such and such song" over the next few days.

I would love feedback on this one.  Are there any of these you would include on your playlist?  Perhaps give me your top ten, just off the top of your head.  I'd love to hear what makes other folks tick musically.

If you want to hear a Youtube version of each song, just click on the coloured hyperlink and you will find what I felt was the best version available (again, I welcome disagreements).   So without further adieu, welcome to the Musical Gardener's Top Fifty hits of all time.


  1. Pachelbel -  Canon
  2. Chicago -  You're the inspiration
  3. Josh Groban - You Raise Me Up
  4. J. S. Bach -  Ein Feste Berg
  5. Eva Cassidy -  Fields of Gold
  6. Crosby/Knapp -  Blessed Assurance
  7. Brian Adams -  Cloud # 9 
  8. Aha - Take On Me
  9. Van Halen -  Jump
  10. Isaac Newton -  Amazing Grace
  11. Olivia Newton John -  Let Me Be There
  12. Elton John -  Healing Hands
  13. Mariah Carey -  I Had a Vision
  14. Chicago -  Hard Habit to Break
  15. Heart -  Alone
  16. Debussey -  Clair De Lune
  17. Chilliwack - My Girl
  18. Handel - Hallelujah Chorus
  19. Johnny Pearson -  Theme From All Creatures Great and Small
  20. J. S. Bach -  Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
  21. Whitney Houston - I Want To Dance With Somebody
  22. Andersson/Ulvaeus - Anthem, from the Musical Chess -  Anthem
  23. Toto - Africa
  24. Secret Garden - Raise Your Voices
  25. Bridges/Thring -  Crown Him With Many Crowns
  26. Stevie Wonder -  Sir Duke
  27. Annie Lennox - Sweet Dreams
  28. Bach -  Sheep May Safely Graze
  29. Stevie Nicks -  Stand Back
  30. Stand Still Jordan Stand Still Jordan
  31. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
  32. Frederick Weatherly - Danny Boy
  33. Handel -  I Know That My Redeemer Liveth
  34. Mike and the Mechanics - All I Need Is A Miracle
  35. St. Thomas Aquinas -  Panis Angelicus
  36. The Eagles -  The Last Resort
  37. Air Supply -   All Out of Love
  38. Def Leppard -  Pour Some Sugar On Me
  39. Ava Mariah Ava Maria
  40. Paul Janz -Rocket To My Heart
  41. Frank Sinatra -  My Way
  42. Billy Joel -  Piano Man
  43. Heber -  Holy, Holy, Holy
  44. Moszkowski -  Opus 73, No. 4
  45. ABBA  - Super Trouper
  46. Michael W. Smith - Lord Have Mercy
  47. Celtic Thunder - Steal Away
  48. Scott Joplin -  The Entertainer
  49. Beethoven -   Moonlight Sonata
  50. ABBA -  Lay All Your Love On Me
    And that is about all I have to say for today.

    Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

    2 comments:

    1. Lots to like, but I really like Eva Cassidy's anything--"Fields of God" is special. She was a rare talent with much soul. Sorry the world lost her to cancer. :(

      ReplyDelete
    2. Quite a few of your's would be on my list. I love Josh Groban's, You Raise Me Up and any song by Eva Cassidy. I have every one of her CDs, even though songs are repeated.

      I see you do not have any Neil Young on your list. Harvest Moon is #1 on my list.

      Arleen

      ReplyDelete

    Much appreciated comments from my friends: