Monday, January 16, 2012

Exotic Animals

One more post about our cruise.  This time I’d like to show you some of the animals that charmed us, and yes some of them were quite surprising in their reaction to humans.

Yes the below picture is a sting ray, giving me a back massage.  They were incredibly interesting creatures – almost tame.  They were hungry, so were quite anxious to be cooperative with humans.  I know, I worried about being stung too, but we were assured that if we trod carefully and fed them squid, they were quite harmless.

sting3

ig7 

This fellow was in a marine aquarium (no I’m not just snorkeling about the ocean floor).

ig1

ig2

ig3

ig5

ig6

ig8

The above was the largest specimen of the green sea turtles, 610 pounds of Sparkie at 75 years of age.

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

8 comments:

  1. What an experience, a back-rub from a stingray! The little turtle looks very cute - that would be about my speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how they let one be a part of the animal experience by letting you have the hands on treatment. I don't think the sting ray would be that safe but I guess if he is well fed then he is good.

      Delete
  2. Swimming with stingrays (or dolphins) must be an awesome experience. Ditto holding that young turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fun! Not sure about the stingray. It would sense my fear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a former teacher, I can not resist the opening you gave me! The exotic animals are the ones in bathing suits and big smiles on their faces! There ! You will get me later I know!
    Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not so sure I would be brave enough to be in the water with a Stingray after the Steve episode. Great photo! I like monkeys and that one with you is really cute..I can spend hours watching them. Looks like a fun time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was intrigued when I started reading your post. You mentioned Sting Rays and your photo reminded me of Sting Ray city in Grand Cayman. The other photos reminded me of Honduras and Belize.

    Vacations of this nature have been part of our interests and got its start with snorkelling.

    If you're interested: take a few minutes to view photo-video on life below the water line.
    http://daniels-view.blogspot.com/2011/01/blue-planet-vol-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have not heard from you in a week and you usually post daily. I hope everything is ok and you are just taking a break.

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: