Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Has Sprung

What a wonderful time of year.  I love Spring.  It is my favourite season, except for the busyness of it all.  There is just so much to be done.  And of course, I put undue pressure upon myself to complete all the tasks, by yesterday, which is a difficult thing for the King of Procrastination to accomplish.  Imagine the wars that rage within in me!


Another heavy white frost - please warm up soon!  But what a great photo op for many of the emerging plants as well.  I need to stop and enjoy the process.  I know that soon enough a riot of colour will be here, and the haze of summer heat will be upon us.


I am most looking forward to the show of tulips in the next few weeks.  Last fall I planted several hundred new bulbs.  I've always been a fan of tulips, but hate the straggly leaves that linger on into summer.  What I did to alleviate this problem was to tuck them all in around the roots of existing perennials, who will hopefully be tall enough, and showy enough to distract from the browning tulip leaves surrounding them.  Whether my strategy is successful, remains to be seen.



The perennials seem to have survived the winter in great form.  Adequate snow cover and a relatively mild winter seem to have provided protection enough.  Most everything, with the exception of the hostas, is making itself known already.  Two hundred clumps of newly moved, tall-bearded irises, even seem to have established remarkably well.  Whether the trauma of their displacement, will affect their bloom is another question.





 But for now, I vow to try to enjoy each day, as the season and the buds unfurl.  I'm going to try to have a daily stroll about the property and share with my blogging friends the wonder that is Spring.












 And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Much appreciated comments from my friends: