Friday, April 29, 2011

April Winds

We've certainly experienced some major wind in the last 24 hours.  On my drive home from work last night, I saw numerous trees fallen in people's yards and the end of one old barn was down, that was standing tall when I drove through in the morning.  At one point over 10000 hydro customers were without power in our district and there are still up to 3000 that may not have it back until Saturday night.  Our fair city was cordoned off in several sections because of downed hydro wires in the streets.



We have been fortunate here, in that the only damage I can see is the mast of our internet aerial appears to be listing to one side.  Last night I could not believe how such a little item could be catching that much wind, as it was whipping about in the upper currents (it is 50+ feet above our house).  Our pool had whitecaps on it at the peak of the big wind - well perhaps I hyperbolize slightly.


Anyway, speaking of big winds, we have our federal election coming up early next week.  I just find it really difficult to get excited about the whole thing.  Yes, of course I will vote, I always do, but I just feel complete apathy toward the whole fiasco.  The candidates are all promising huge things in the job creation field - but since we haven't seen many new, lasting jobs created here in the last few years, I cannot picture from where these opportunities are all going to magically materialize.  I note that none of the candidates have touched the minefield of our exponentially escalating gas prices.  If someone would promise to regulate fuel costs to some degree, I might sway my vote in their direction.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWy23FPpDM

And speaking of apathy, I gather the Royal Wedding has occurred.  Youngest just finished offering the tidbit that the royal affair only cost a meagre 36 million.  I wish them well, but they are just human like the rest of us.  Would the public be as excited if they were homely commoners?  But of course, they are "pretty people" whose visages have been splashed across every tabloid from here to kingdom come.  I figure the divorce rumours should start to pop up by late next week.

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Much appreciated comments from my friends: