Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Asparagus Rolls

I thought of this one on my own.  Tis the season for fresh crop asparagus.  I have a small patch planted, but it is not ready for use yet, although I should be checking regularly for the first sprouts.

We love asparagus roasted in the oven.  We also quite enjoy oven-roasted jalapeno peppers.  So I thought, why not try combining the two in an eye pleasing combo.

Good fresh ingredients.

Ingredients:

1 lb of fresh asparagus spears (try to get smallish ones)
1 dozen jalapeno peppers (try to get nice, big, fat ones)
1 cooking onion
1 small tomato
Garlic cloves or garlic powder
Olive oil



Slice an inch or so off the cut ends of the asparagus, to remove the tough, woody ends.

peppers tipped and tailed.

Cut the top and bottom off the jalapeno peppers.


I used my apple corer tool to hollow the peppers out, removing the pith and seeds.


Depending on the size of your asparagus spears, push three or four spears into each pepper casing.


Place all the stuffed pepper casings in a glass dish.  Slice the cooking onion into rings and spread them over the vegetables.  Slice the tomato very thinly and spread it over as well.  Sprinkle olive oil over each bundle.  Sprinkle garlic powder (or minced garlic) on top.  Add whatever other spices you like on your roast vegetables (rosemary, oregano, basil are all very nice).


Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and put in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes at 350 F.  Remove from the oven and serve two bundles to each guest.  The serving choices we had, were roasted chicken breasts and a bed of boiled rice.  The meal was definitely greeted with a choruses of "oh that looks good".

Hot from the oven.

suggested serving option

I'll have to try this one, the next time we serve a formal sit down dinner.  The asparagus bundles were very attractive, and just as tasty as they looked.

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful!. I had to swear off the Jalapeno peppers a few years ago after I ended up in the hospital. So, there is no more hot food for me, but I do miss the flavors I used to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: