Sunday, August 21, 2011

Phlox - My Prodigal Child of 2011

I have what I consider to be a good selection of perennial phlox plants, but they are pretty much a write-off this year, with the powdery mildew/rust issues we seem to be facing here in eastern Ontario.  So while they are not the magnitude I would like, I will share a few of the happier specimens, and dream that next year will be sans mildew.





Nicky, purple

Blue Phlox, this is the actual colour in the early morning light; it goes more pink as the day progresses.

Magenta
White David (and this one is supposed to be rust/mildew resistant)
Pretty pathetic, this should be a mass of five contrasting colours, not a few skimpy blooms.
I wasn't going to bother publishing this post, but those of you who are avid gardeners will realize that most years, some plant fails to live up to its potential -- 2011 it was perennial phlox in my garden.  Next year it may be another key player, who chooses to go black sheep on me.

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful flowers; they fed my soul here in the Sonoran desert.
    Came over from maturelandscaping.com
    I'll be back.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: