Monday, June 13, 2011

Some Deep Philosophical Gardening Questions

I'm still feeling like a newbie in the world of bloggers and I'm never quite sure what is kosher and what is not.  Is there a 'Blogging For Dummies' out there?  Is there proper protocol that I should follow, or is it a just-make-your-own-rules-as-you-go sort of game?  So what am I getting at exactly?



Well I've found another fellow blogger that I really enjoy reading.  His site is The Obsessive Neurotic Gardener - how's that for attention grabbing, especially for me -- who counts the shovelfuls of poop as I unload my truck.

http://www.obsessiveneuroticgardener.com/

He had a fascinating article a  couple of weeks back on some of the questions he asks himself as he gardens.  Now is it proper to lift material from someone else's blog, provided you give them full credit?  Can I make my own comments and observations without offending the author and the rest of the blogging world?

Well since I am my own author, editor and publisher, I am going to make a corporate decision and say yes.  If I am out of line, I'm certain someone will gently nudge me back on the straight and narrow.

Credit to Whom Credit is Due:

http://www.obsessiveneuroticgardener.com/2011/05/deep-thoughts.html


Do I need to develop a game plan or determine where I want to take this blog in the future?

"There seems to be a discord between those who write for traditional media outlets and those who blog. Bloggers are often accused of being uneducated and inexperienced in the world of horticulture and guilty of spreading misinformation. While I am relatively new to the world of blogging, I have been a regular reader of garden blogs over the years and have found that very few, if any, have given out bad information. What I have found, is that garden bloggers are full of passion and love to share their own experiences with others. These bloggers are a great mix of designers, farmers, plant geeks and backyard gardeners and I find all of their writings to be an inspiration.
...... Is it simply a collection of photos of my gardens along with my own commentary? Am I targeting beginning gardeners or those who like using Latin names? Am I trying to impress my friends and family? Or show off the fact that I have some decent plant knowledge? The truth - I have no idea at this point. I'm just enjoying the ride and writing about my true passion."

So I'm often asking myself this question.  Since the ONG (Obsessive Neurotic Gardener) is concentrating on gardening I'll do the same.  No, I don't pretend to be a gardening expert - if you are looking for the proper Latin names of plants, this probably isn't the place.  Yes, I probably can give you the proper names of many plants, but that isn't me - not about to try and impress anyone with my Latin skills.  Like ONG I like to include photos of my plants.  You will probably note that I rarely give photos of complete gardens, usually just individual plants.  Things around our place are far too often in transition as opposed to completion - read as i.e. the lawn isn't freshly cut, that particular bed hasn't been weeded or dead headed.

 
Should I feel dirty when I purchase plants from one of the "big box stores"?

"This applies to all sorts of purchases (produce, appliances, etc.) and not only plants. Should I be willing to pay a bit more at my local garden center knowing the money will be staying local? How do I turn down how cheap Home Depot and Lowe's can be on certain plants? There is nothing better than a visit to my local nursery and I want to support them in any way I can. I'm still working out this one in my wallet, my head and in my conscience."

Yes I ask myself this one too.  I try not to darken Walmart's doors if at all possible.  However Home Depot does offer some great sales, and usually has good strong healthy plants.  I tend to be a bit of a shopper when it comes to plants - whoever has something I want at that time, at a good price, I usually plunk down the cash.  The right time and place is usually at the end of the season though, when prices are severely slashed and I have time to do some garden renovations or new projects.  I find in the spring, it is just too busy and plants are at a premium.
How do I extend my gardens beyond the perimeter of my home?

"Ideally, I want to get to a point where I have many garden rooms or "places to chill". All of these rooms would be attached with interesting and meandering garden paths. In my head it kicks ass but in reality I feel like I'll never get there. Beyond the typical issues of time, money, deer and ... time, I don't know where to begin. I don't like the look of island beds so I want to some how transition from my yard to the woods that border my property."


In my mind's eye - only!
So any of you that know me, my gardens have already long left the perimeter of the house, but there is no unifying feature to all of them.  ONG doesn't like island gardens, but that is what a lot of mine are.  I like them, but his comment has kind of made me look at them and say, hmmm it would be nice if there was a path adjoining everything, but then it would cut my lawn up so badly, I'd be another hour just trimming and mowing.  Since I rarely keep the lawn up to snuff, that isn't an option I'll look at immediately.  I'd love to have some woodsy gardens, but my woods are all very low and wet and mosquito infested.  A pond would be nice though!

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

1 comment:

  1. I am not up on blogging etiquite either, but I think I would send a comment to ONG telling him that you are quoting some of his material. I am sure he would welcome it as you are making his blog known and he may possibly get more readers.

    I believe gardens should reflect your tastes and the configuration of your space. I love the look of a wildflower garden, however, my yard could not handle that type of flower bed. I live in a development and formal gardens are more appropriate so that is what I do. I cannot connect my gardens with a path for some of the same reasons you stated, however I do have a few areas that I consider outside rooms and set them up as such with chairs, benches or statues. Although ponds are lovely and I have considered having one, they take quite a bit of upkeep and money. My daughter has one which I refer to as Niagra Falls and it is constant work, work, work. Instead, for my Zen garden I have a dry bed path made of white, grey and black rocks held together with partially buried metal garden edging. I snaked it throughout the area, in and out between the bushes. In it I have a Buddah, Asian looking solar lighting,and a solar water feature. I plant dragon leaf begonias along with the established bushes including a Crepe Myrtle. I have a pagoda like trellis as an entrance. I get many compliments on it and am proud of how it turned out. I worked on it for many years to get it how it is today as it was a try, try again project.

    Although I plant varieties of flowers/greenery in all my garden areas (14), I make sure that one particular species and color is represented in all so there is some consistency.

    I have not been a picture taker in the past but since I started blogging earlier this year, I have started to do some of this. I notice that many bloggers are artists at this and my attemps seem so immature. You, though, do a great job on your pictures and your blog is very well written.

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: