Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fabulous Foliage

I thought I would devote a blog to the wonders of modern shrubbery.  I was never much of a shrub fan until we bought our new place.  There was not much in the way of landscaping on the property, but there were two red barberries, a couple of blue yews and some golden Euonymus.  Then my wife attended the aforementioned plant auction and came home with a host of other great specimens (for a song, more or less). So over the course of a couple years, our place has become quite a pallette of bushes.

Since we are at a bit of a lull, blossom-wise, I thought this was the opportunity to showcase the amazing variety of leaves and textures that are right at their peak.  The Japanese beetles have not hit yet, and the moisture and heat levels are optimum for succulent growth.

Weeping Crimson Birch

Blue Yew, moved from its original home last spring.

Golden Smoke Bush

Wine and Roses Wegelia

Purple Leafed Smoke Bush

Original Barberry - in need of a trim

Immature Dappled Willow

Golden Euonymus

The contrast
And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

1 comment:

Much appreciated comments from my friends: