Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Peony Season

Peonies are not my favourite flower, but I do have a few nice specimens.  The problem with peonies, in my eyes, is the weight of the flower, which pulls the flowers all down toward the ground.  The other thing I find with peonies they always seem to get a wind and rain, just as they are in full bloom and down they go, completely flopped all over the ground, petals scattered everywhere.  I think perhaps some of the new single varieties with the fancy yellow centers might stand up better, although I do not have experience with them.


http://4irises.com/PeonyInformation.html

Peonies can be hard to establish successfully, too.  They have to be planted at just the right depth.  The 'eyes' do not like to be either too deep or too shallow.  If they are, it may take a year or two for them to naturally find their correct depth, and then they may only give you a couple of rather sulky blossoms.  Once they are established, you can take a slice off the side and replant elsewhere, but I've found they do not take kindly to a complete move, if they are large and established.  When we bought the farm, there was a beautiful old red specimen, similar to the one shown below.  Several people wanted a piece of it and I didn't like where it was located, so I cut it apart and moved it all.  I'm not sure how the chunks off the side did, but I know I lost the original bush.

Early spring shoots

bud, partially open
Out in full and prior to rain!
Heading groundward.








 And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Much appreciated comments from my friends: