Friday, June 10, 2011

More Irises

These shots are from a few days ago -- before the hailstorm battered my already traumatized tall-beardeds.  Yes it has been quite the iris season.  First we had the big wind, just as the first buds opened, which knocked over about half the flower stems, or a least put them on a severe tilt.  Then on Wednesday we had the thunderstorm, followed by hailstones.  And the funny thing is that nobody else in the area saw this, although it was predicted all afternoon.  The hail was like marbles bouncing off the deck, and at one point the deck was nearly white with little frosty pellets.  So needless to say it wreaked havoc (notice I love to use that phrase) on my TB's.  I note that a lot of the larger leafed hostas along the house have holes too, that will be a reminder of our own personal hailstorm, all summer long.

The good news is though, that we have power again.  Our hydro service was back on when I got home from work yesterday.  My eldest, who works as a maid at a local hotel, has a busy day ahead of her, judging from the number of boom trucks in the yard as I dropped her off this morning.  Apparently more than two thousand customers are still without power in our area yet, and 150,000 province-wide.

Anyway, back to the irises.  Here are a few more shots of some of my favourites.


Rip City - best 'red' that I have.


Thornbirds - not a pretty one, but unusual.

Ginger Swirl, one of the missus' favourites.

Superstition - one of the better 'blacks'




Poem of Ecstacy - an intriguing colour combo

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Much appreciated comments from my friends: