Tuesday, October 4, 2011

New Musical Endeavours


I've started up with a couple of musical venues for the fall.  Actually the first is a return.  I sing in the group Melodia Monday.themusicalgardener.blogspot.com/2011/05/musical-weekend.htmlCached  This is my third season with this great group.  Two weeks ago was our kick-off session and it certainly looks as if our fearless leader Doug, has chosen some terrific music once again.  That having been said, it is not the time to rest back on the laurels - this is primarily challenging stuff.  However that is a good thing for Yours Truly.  Thankfully Doug has recorded a listening CD for all of us.  I find that really helps to cement the melody in my head, and once I've heard it a few times, the harmonies make sense and make for easier sight reading and rote learning.  It will be interesting as my Bass I partner has shifted over to fill a void in the Bass II section.  A new recruit has joined me on Bass I, but he is traveling a hour and a half in good weather, so I have to question if he will be a committed attender, once the weather starts to go south.  Time will tell.

I've included two Youtube videos of my two favourite new pieces that we are learning, both by Mort Lauridsen.



 The second venue is a short-term committment.  Our friend and my daughter's voice teacher, is pitching a fundraising concert in November.  We are doing all the music from Joseph's Technicolour Dreamcoat - wonderful stuff.  Problem is, we had our first full practice last week, and were reminded that we have seven - yep count 'em, seven more Sunday practices before showtime. Included in that is Canadian Thanksgiving which will probably prove to be a wash-out attendance-wise.  I have been pegged as one of the brothers, Levi, and am on the bass end of things, along with my friend Jim.  So it is going to make a busy fall getting music into the head.  Fortunately I know most of the Joseph tunes, so it will be a matter of getting the right harmonies.  The sad part is to, that while we have both an absolutely awesome Joseph, and narrator, but we are still lacking five brothers.  I've made some suggestions, but it remains to be seen, if said individuals even have an interest in joining, let alone learning music in this short a time.

Sorry I don't have photos of either efforts.  But at least I am actually writing about one of the two components of my blogging name - the one that I find particulary difficult to blog on - the musical aspect. Not that music is a hard topic, just how do I make something interesting for my readers, other than throwing up a few Youtubes of available music.  I do have a digital recorder that I probably should learn how to use - a winter project.
And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

2 comments:

  1. How great is this??? I make no secret that I adore beltin' out a great tune. "Joseph and tha Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", are you kiddin'??? I'm so jealous and let me tell ya'll...it's not a pretty sight! Heeehehe!

    God bless ya and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love listening to choral groups. A friend of mine has belonged to one for many years and another is part of a barber shop group. They both have great fun and I have enjoyed going to their performances.

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: