Thursday, July 14, 2011

Daylilies

Day lily season is upon us.  I have four well established clumps of pink/peach shades that I purchased a few years back.  They are really starting to ramp up their showing.  I have also purchased a few new ones in the past year or two, that are just nicely starting to multiply, but not a great deal of flower stalks evident this year. When planting day lilies, make sure you give them sufficient room to expand, because they will.  Also check the flower height, as there is a fair bit of variation in this regard.  I have some blooming at not much over a foot, and others at three.  Unfortunately one of my tallest is right at the edge of the flowerbed, where it should have been nearer the back - may get a move later in the season.

Day lilies, in my humble, opinion are best enjoyed as single specimens, however a big, full bosomed clump is quite impressive too. The flowers are at their best early in the day, before the hot sun starts to deteriorate the succulent petals.

I have yet to run into any real pests or issues with day lilies (unlike Asiatics).  The only downfall I see is that they need to be deadheaded for best display (and especially if you are out with your camera).







And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

1 comment:

  1. I love the daylilies! - especially since "my" deer don't seem to bother them when they feast on the rest of my garden, including roses, that they feel is a buffet I set out just for them!

    Have a great day!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: