Saturday, July 16, 2011

The New Herb Garden

I've had a plan in mind for the past year or so, to make a neat little herb garden right beside the house.  We started an herb patch down near the vegetable garden, but it has been wet, and underutilized because of its distance from the house. It has also become somewhat weed-choked and neglected.

The new selected site is an awkward parcel of land between the pool and the east side of the house, very difficult to mow.  My plan is to remove the sod and dig pots into the soil.  The pots actually have their bottoms removed.  The idea of the pots is to control root spread.  Some herbs such as mint and oregano can become unruly if left to their own devices.  I plan to have a nicely contained specimen of each herb, mostly perennial, supplemented with a few annual plantings such as cilantro.

Now we won't even have to slip on our shoes, if we chose not, to go and get a sprig of parsley.

Come along with me on my time lapse journey.

Removing the sod


Putting the pots in place

Pots embedded and weed barrier installed

Peas stone mulch in place
Pots filled with compost, new transplants.
Another view

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
........and basil

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

3 comments:

  1. Looks cool. Great idea! What do you do for birds and squirrels? So far in my trap and release trap, I have caught one very angry bird. The squirrel, I think, gave her bad info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea for a herb garden - it looks really nice. Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so neat and tidy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: