Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 - Happy New Year - My Resolutions

First of all Happy New Year.  I hope you celebrated the arrival of 2012 in some suitably entertaining fashion.


It is nice to have an on-line accountability group - my loyal followers.  I think it was because I publicly announced my resolutions a year ago, that made them reasonably successful - I'd have felt guilty if I didn't at least put forth my best effort.

So what do I resolve to do differently in 2012?  Okay here they are:

Resolution #1.  Last fall I got to the point where I could not longer ignore the vague chest pains I would intermittently experience.  As heart issues run on my mother's side, I went to see my doctor.  After explaining my symptoms, he was able to reassure me that my ticker is working well, but I do have some sort of a spinal issue that needs some attention - still waiting on the x-ray results.  However in all the testing, my blood test came back with elevated cholesterol.  I had a similar test last spring, so went on statins for a couple months, but then got nervous and tried to control the situation by diet and exercise, as several people suggested.  Unfortunately, my numbers rose substantially - my doctor was not pleased.  So I'm back on the statins, and trying really hard to reduce my fat intake - not easy for a confirmed foodie.  However, I will try to do my best to stick to my medication, and watch what I consume in 2012.  Everyone assures me that oatmeal porridge is good for me in everyway.  So armed with a box of quick cook packages, I am going to endeavour to have a daily bowl.  And yes ECITL it will be from scratch, once my prepared box runs out.



Resolution #2.  I want to start a second blog, a network to keep all my cousins, close and otherwise in some sort of communication loop.  One of my first cousins succumbed to cancer this past fall, and it helped to emphasize the importance of family.  Because we are spread throughout the world, we need to have some sort of communication tool.  I am proposing to share old photos, anecdotes, and new news, in some sort of infrequent blog/family tree/ photography sharing/ newsletter venture.

Resolution #3. I am going to get my intermediate (Grades 7-10) certification teaching credentials.  I have signed up for the course starting in early January.  I don't feel that intermediate school is where I really want to teach, but if there is any hope of ever getting contract work, this is about the only entry point for yours truly.  I shall learn to adore adolescent angst.

Resolution #4.  I am going to try to enjoy the process more, and not be so results-oriented.  I find I am far too goal oriented for my own good, and in the mad lather to finish projects, I often forget to enjoy the steps that lead up to the final completion.  I am also going to try to be a little less guilt driven.  I am going to try to articulate the word NO more often, if it is something that really doesn't interest me.

And there you have it. Yes I will keep flossing -- I guess it's a bit of a habit now, although I'll admit, it does not thrill me yet.

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.


6 comments:

  1. Good luck with all your resolutions, and a very happy new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-think the statins, given that all statin test rats got cancer and there's no correlation between actual heart fatalities and high cholesterol. Diet and ecercise = a good thing. Be sure to get enough B vitamins to control homocystine, which causes inflamation in the arteries. I have a book you need to read. Signed, the Doc. :-) Oh, and take fish oil caps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, talk to Randy for his regimen. He lowered his a lot with food and supplements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good resolutions. They tend to be look after yourself which is great.
    I taught middle school kids for 37 years. I loved it...but then I may be a little crazy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year..I see you have a good handle on your resolutions and you made fine work of your last years resolutions too!! I am trying to finish up some of my projects to begin a family project..that I really should have begun today..I have a diary, photos and keepsakes of my husbands Grandmother. I will create a private blog..that will be viewed by invitation only for family members. I am looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! Good luck with your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete

Much appreciated comments from my friends: