Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Irish Roots

My great, great grandparents emigrated from Ireland about 1853, although the records I have suggest it could have been even earlier.  With the potato famine devastating Ireland from 1845 - 1850, I would wonder if this may not be the case.  Great, great Grandpa James was born in 1802 in County Monaghan, Ireland.  He married Sarah Fox (there is some debate about whether that is the correct surname or not), who was born in 1802 (or 1814, which ever record you follow), in Ulster, Ireland. 

Records suggest that they had six children, when they emigrated originally to the USA.  My great grandfather, James II, was the youngest of these children to cross the ocean. There may have been two children who died in infancy in Ireland - again the records are sketchy at best.  Four more children were born to the couple after they arrived in North America.

After coming to the USA, they eventually ended up moving to Caledon, Ontario, eventually farming in Amaranth Township, Concession 5, Lot 5.  In 1975, my mother, and my Aunt Vera and I went for a road trip to Caledon.  We actually saw the original homesteading house.  Unfortunately it was slated to be torn down that same fall.




Sarah died on January 21, 1898, and James on October 12, 1899. Both are buried in the Greenwood Cemetery outside of Orangeville.  I have seen the stone several times.  It is a big impressive red granite stone, very evident from the highway as you drive along.  Several of the offspring also rest beneath it.

And that is about all I have to say for today.

Musings and meanderings from the Musical Gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Much appreciated comments from my friends: